Monday, August 1, 2011

A Start Without a Story

Every once in a while, I browse through my collection of "unfinished" stories. Some might even be defined as unstarted -- or at least barely started.

I wrote one such piece -- "Whichever Path You Choose" -- as part of Writer2Writer.com's Photo Contest #2 (2003). The idea was to write an opening paragraph based on the photo shown below. My entry won first prize, but I could never manage to build on the opening.

In hopes of kick starting the creative process, I've decided to post the opening here:

I peered inside both tunnels, straining to detect any sign of movement within a dozen shades of grey. Jane's breath felt humid against the side of my neck. Her nails dug deep into my upper arm. All I noticed was the pressure. Pain would have to wait until the general numbness passed--maybe in a day or two. I grabbed her clutched hand and whispered, "Do you think he's really dead this time?"

She wrapped her arms around me and nuzzled my shoulder blade. "We can only hope."

No comments:

Post a Comment